Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a register as a pointer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamerp
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Using a register as a pointer? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to writing scripts for CE so hope I'm posting in the right place.

So recently I've read up on how to do AOB scans. Looking at the memory viewer I can see it seems to be moving a value from rcx+00000214 here.

1. Is it possible to register the address as a symbol? I've tried googling about this but can't seem to find anything about it (or at least some code I can follow).

2. Since this pointer address seems to be 8 values in hex, does that mean 8 bytes is enough? Or should it be 16 because it's 64bit?

[See screen 1]

3. At some point I tried to perform an AOB scan (with no injection script enabled) but it doesn't find anything even though I can see the signature bytes in the memory viewer.

I then try to restart both the game and CE but it's still not found. If I then enable the aobscanmodule script itself despite the 0 results, the script still works using the same signature.

Why is this?

[See screen 2]

screen2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.13 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)

screen2.PNG

screen1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.25 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)

screen1.PNG

LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each byte consists of 2 characters. So 4-bytes = 32-bit and 8-bytes = 64-bit. You can register a symbol to use the pointer:
Code:

aobscan(unique_symbol_here,module,aob)
alloc(newmem,$1000,unique_symbol_here)

label(code)
label(pointer)
label(my_symbol)

newmem:
   test rcx,rcx
   jz code
   mov [my_symbole],rcx

my_symbol:
  dq 0 // declare quadword (8-bytes) since the register is a 64-bit register

code:
  // original instructions

Note: you should name your scripts something other than INJECT, when it comes to creating multiple scripts that use the same symbol name conflicts arise and problems begin to manifest. In addition to that you should place the changes to code under newmem so that when it comes to updating you will know the changes you made more easily, or when asking for help, people can differentiate between the original instructions and what you have added.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: search "injection copy"
2: 1 byte = 8 bits. (8 bytes = 64 bits)
3: the memory you're searching for probably isn't writable. Right click that "Writable / Executable / Copy on Write" area under "Memory Scan Options" in the main window and select "Preset: scan all memory"

gamerp
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@parkour
I saw one of your other posts but I end up with a very detailed posts with broken screenshots so I can't see what's being done ^^;

I can't link but it's titled "Guides: Pointer Scanner + Injection Copies + AOB To Data"?

@fixer

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite following the code but yes, I know "inject" is just a default template. I'm guessing the code does the following?

Code:
test rcx,rcx // test if there's a value
je code // jump to code if none
mov [my_symbol], rcx // move address in rcx to my_symbol

@All

When I try the moving the address into my own variable, I end up with a different value than what my pointer scan is showing. So I decided to experiment by directly inserting the correct address:

Code:
mov [moneyptr], 15939DDFB38

But even then when the script is triggered, the address comes out as the wrong value 7FF64E7A1000... Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

screen3.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.85 KB
 Viewed:  647 Time(s)

screen3.PNG

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All registers have values. `test rcx,rcx` / `je ...` checks if `rcx` is 0. In the context of copying addresses, this does nothing since the game would crash if the address was 0.

`moneyptr` is memory you allocated. You're storing the address of something else in that memory. A value that stores the address of some other value is a pointer. Click the "pointer" checkbox, put "moneyptr" (no quotes) as the base address, and use "328" as the only offset.

Also, the game must run the code for your code injection to do anything. The value of moneyptr will be 0 until the game runs that code.

gamerp
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies and patience Smile

I'm pretty certain the game is running the code because I can see the code working i.e. in this case instead of copying whatever's in ecx, it just adds 100000 money instead. Only the moneyptr doesn't seem to get anything copied into it.

If I change from address to pointer there's nothing in the "moneyptr" I allocated for some reason.

screen4.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.52 KB
 Viewed:  590 Time(s)

screen4.PNG

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base address is the one on the bottom; the field with arrows on the side of it is the offset. Don't use "+00000328" for the offset either; just use "328" (no quotes)

PS: Don't put `dealloc(moneyptr,8)`; just do what CE does and only put the symbol

gamerp
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, of course! Been using pointers so much before doing this code injection as well :facepalm:

Thanks, ParkourPenguin! Pointing correctly now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: