Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HELP] Check Game Version and Work on multiple versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnkittz
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: [HELP] Check Game Version and Work on multiple versions Reply with quote

I'm needing some help on how to make a trainer work for multiple versions of a game

Example:
Trainer will check the game version then return the correct cheat table for said version

I don't know if this possible YET, but I would like to know

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that
Code:

md5memory(process,4096)

returns a unique identifier different for each version

alternatively if the exe has version information, you could try
Code:

getFileVersion(enumModules()[1].PathToFile)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use AOBs to scan for the needed pointers and offsets that you need per-version. You can avoid needing any version check then simply by relying on the patterns entirely.
paul44
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into an issue when trying out this function. See images here: [ imgur_com/a/TELDU ].
2 things:
1. when I comment out the 'MD5value=...' line, then press Execute, then "enable" the line again... it works fine?!
2. when I run this several times (after restarting CE and/or game), I get different MD5 values?!

ps: getFileVersion() works well (see here: [ forum_cheatengine_org/viewtopic.php?p=5694978#5694978 ]), but sometimes games do not provide file_info...
paul44
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Shadow Of Mordor MD5 header... Reply with quote

To come back to the issue of changing MD5 values:
- did some recent tests with AC I (Dx9 & 10): works as expected (=> MD5 digest)
- AC Brotherhood: sha1 digest (not "working")
- Shadow of Morder (x64): keeps changing per game startup?
(even tried to lower header size: 2048 - 1024 ~ same problem) => no Dig Sign tab !
- Shadow of War (x64): works as expected... => sha1 digest

Anyone has an idea why this happens for SoM in particular?

-UPDATE- see my post below...

Last edited by paul44 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go in the direction that atom0s suggested. But instead of "89 83 80 04 00 00" I opt for "8Dxxxx8Bxxxxxxxxxx29xx89xxxxxxxxxx8DxxxxE8xxxxxxxx8Bxxxx8BxxxxxxxxxxE8xxxxxxxx83" because if it always has to do some operations around what I want to hook, then the main instructions should stay the same. Then I use "readMem" and/or "reassemble" as needed, and I like using "assert" to limit debugging crashes. Most of the time the AOBs still work but the "assert"s fail and I just cut these out if it gets handled with "readMem" or "reassemble".

Some times a little Lua to pull some offsets to use later is AA scripts is also needed. But most of the time finding a good spot to change a registry combined with "readMem" or "reassemble" do the job.

Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Digital Signatures... Reply with quote

I think I figured it out. When one checks the Exe properties, there is - in most cases - a 'Digital Signatures' tab (something I never looked at till now). When it shows a 'md5 digest', everything seems to be peachy. If it shows a 'sha1 digest' (or no tab at all), then you have more chance of receiving a different value with each launch...
I'll be looking at MS Signtool later this week, to see if I can make more sense out of this...

ps: I have no idea how the lua MD5 function works (whether it calculates the PE header in memory - most likely since one can define the memory size - or actually collects the aforementioned signature)...?

@TheyCallMeTim13:
In short: like you said. ('see my response in the other General Discussion post')
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: