Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Question] Unlocking framerate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: [Question] Unlocking framerate Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know how to unlock framerate (FPS) limit in games? I know that sometimes, the game then appears buggy or sped up, but I want to do it anyway. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not quite sure if you will get any benefit from unlocking fps:

first you need to know what functions from what libraries.
second even if you unlocked the fps, doesnt mean the game engine is capable to handle it or even designed to operate correctly without issues in higher fps.

there is also a dependency on your hardware, so to be more specific mainly your monitor and gpu.

dont forget the technologies they are using, again mainly v-sync and g-sync.
make sure to gather more info about these and their impact.

final words, refer to your nvidia control panel to apply external settings for your programs.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do it on games that are locked to undesirable frame rates like 30 FPS. 60 fps looks and plays better.
I already know about some possible bugs this could cause.

I dont know what functions or libraries this is contained in. Are you asking something specific?

Also I already know about vsync and Im able to run these games at higher FPS as well, that wasnt the question.
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how it feels when running 30 fps, some games might save and store their configuration files in the same directory or windows directory.
whats the point?
some games have their settings in a configuration files, and its not as easy as you might think to find these files.

some other games store their settings in .dll which sometimes can be easy to modify by decompiling (that if its not c/c++) otherwise it might require some reverse engineering.

seriously its not an easy task to unlock the limit, specially when the modder doesnt have enough information about the game engine, where they stored their things, and what functions they are using.

there might be some tools out there, that might be useful to unlock fps limit just search a bit.

side note:
some cheaters reported when they used speedhack with v-sync on, their fps increased a lot so it might worth a try.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedhack messes with the fps measure program (like fraps) it doesnt seem to actually increase the FPS

I am looking for a way to find the fps limit through Cheat engine tools (editing memory or disassembly, possibly).

Maybe someone like dark byte may know a way
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the game doesn't allow you to change the FPS setting, then it is probable a constant, these can be generally hard to find, but you might try and do some thing on your computer to bog it down so you get a frame rate drop, and use that to scan for an decreasing value and increasing value, this may give you a value used to calculate what the current frame rate is. But it could just be a registry that will only hold the value during the calculation, and these you tend to have to find values in the same structure, may be resolution is a place to look around.

Just some ideas I would try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very common place for games to lock the FPS is during the message loop of the window.

Look for references to GetMessage / TranslateMessage / DispatchMessage and you can generally find the FPS locking calls / information around them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: