Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself and requesting help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thundercat
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself and requesting help Reply with quote

Hey,

I just got into Cheat Engine. I did the tutorial and now im trying to fool around using a free version of a little game. Just trying to learn and get better with all these concepts.

I have a old background in software dev and it's coming in handy, especially when having to stay calm with all this assembly code ive been running into.

I was wondering how the community was on this forum, and if the general rule was more of a " Go read tutorials before asking noob questions" or if people were happy to talk and help.

I'm more of a "go ask someone " than "google it" type of person. I know not everyone likes that. I just enjoy the human contact.

Anyways, i've been following the tutorial, and understand that it should be able to help me resolve my issue, but it's not. I can see where my problem links to a chapter of the tutorial, but the tutorial isn't helping me anymore.

I can consistently find a way to change my life points in a game. but the address changes everytime i launch the game. So i used the "Check what write to this address." feature to look for pointers etc..

i end up on the std opcode. it's far from a mov or any offsets that i could use like in the tutorial. ( at least to me.)

this std opcode , when i analyse the registry, has my lifepoint address in EDI.

my first instinct was to write some code that would find this std opcode and check whats in EDI. Then use that value to set as my "This is the HP address" . The STD opcode so far is static, even though the address isn't green.

So yeah, that's my story. if someone wants to point me on what to study from there, or help me out, it's much appreciated. Anyways, great tool, great fun learning. great tutorial too !
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thundercat wrote:
i end up on the std opcode
The std instruction sets the direction flag; it doesn't access any address. I'd guess there's a rep instruction somewhere near there which is actually accessing the address.

thundercat wrote:
this std opcode , when i analyse the registry, has my lifepoint address in EDI.
I don't know what you mean by "the registry," but the fact that edi contains the address in question is all the more reason why I'd guess there's a rep instruction prior to the std instruction.

thundercat wrote:
The STD opcode so far is static, even though the address isn't green.
The fact that the value isn't located in a module is largely irrelevant with regards to where that code is stored.

Try the pointer scanner and see what it finds. It requires the least effort and knowledge on the user's part.

What (kind of) game are you even playing? It's pretty uncommon for contemporary software to use rep instructions.

Last edited by ParkourPenguin on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. The site/users are generally pretty open to discussions and helping new people out as long as they are showing an effort in trying to get somewhere. Generally, if someone asks a question that is asked a ton of times in the past and has a lot of topics covering the answer(s), people will get told to look at those posts, but if it is a more specific question it can lead to a discussion.

Don't be afraid to ask for help though.

Something to keep in mind though, we have had a handful of rule changes over the years due to various legal problems. So discussions of cheat related topics are more or less focused on less-game specific things now to stay in an area that is legal friendly. By this, I mean do not mention the name of the game(s) you are working on and avoid discussing any games that are multi-player related on this forum at all.

You can post snippets of code/asm from a game that you are having issues with to get help, just try and be sure that any code/screenshots you post do not include any names of the game or anything that can easily determine what the game is you are posting about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: