Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while scanning Dota 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
booingthetroll
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while scanning Dota 2 Reply with quote

I know these forums are pretty strictly not for help with online games, but I would be astounded if it has to do with Dota 2. I mainly even am mentioning it because it takes up a lot of memory, which is likely central to the occurrence of this. I am on x64 Windows 10 and for some strange reason, almost every time I scan it I get a BSoD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I am getting minidumps but I am not sure how to post it as .dmp is not allowed (I am guessing hosting it on another site would just be an evasion of the rule). I do not have much experience analyzing them but I can say, at least, that it is occurring inside the dota process. I seem to recall getting the same issue when scanning CS:GO, but with less frequency.

I have tried a few things, all of which have had null effect:
- Default settings (where I first noticed it)
- Making sure I have no kernelmode options on
- "Don't scan memory that is protected with the No Cache option"
- Changing scanfile location to desktop
- Changing the scan memory region types (even just MEM_IMAGE BSoDs)

The BSoD always happens partway through but at varying points (e.g. I've seen the green bar vary between 1/5 and 4/5 before I crash).

I have only observed this BSoD while scanning with CE, and based on that my computer has pretty high specs (XPS 15 9560) I really do not think it is incapable of scanning. I would not be surprised if this is entirely due to some defect or driver issue, but I am still asking here because of its sole occurrence with CE and that you guys (or at least DB) are likely to know some likely causes with the inner workings of the scan.

So, based on the log and the given info, could anyone give some ideas on how I can resolve this? I am using the latest x64 CE 6.6.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to settings->extra and uncheck all the options there.

If that fails, then run the reset settings tool that comes with ce (ceregreset.exe) and try scanning with that (don't even go to the setting screen)

if it still BSOD's then if you have overclocked your system, lower the overclock, or just set it to base speed.

If it still BSOD's, try lowering your cpu speed even more.... (CE is known to reveal unstable overclocks. While game's and benchmarks don't tax the system that much, CE will)

And you can upload the dump files to places like mega.nz or other filesharing sites. That's ok

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
booingthetroll
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Extra settings were already all off
- I thought ceregreset.exe worked for a few minutes, but after a couple of scans I BSoDed again
- I haven't messed with any overclocking. My processor is currently on 2.8 quad core but I think it automatically goes higher when needed (come to think of it, that sounds like a good possibility if the controller software is somehow messed up, though I updated all Dell drivers & the BIOS just a bit ago to try to fix this. I will try to disable any weird processor features if they're on).

Here is one dmp:

https://mega.nz/#!UmRElZSZ!D3WPrcNVuNCMMnHaUFEj8fCz0XuqwNud0IRK5CcZHPY

(I keep messing up the url bbcode somehow... sorry)

Thanks for the help BTW
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windbg says it might be memory corruption. So could be your RAM. (RAM speeds set correct in the bios ? )

and see if you can run that game in a DX mode that isn't 12. (and no vulcan either)

booingthetroll
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran some memory tests and all came out positive. Everything else is fine. So then I ran Dota with -dx11 and I've scanned at least 25 times with no BSoD. I am so confused! I don't mind using dx11 now that I know to use it, but any idea what the heck is going on (why did you think to mention it)? This might just be a coincidence since I have changed a few other things, of course, but this is definitely the longest I've gone with no BSoD.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have faulty graphics drivers.
some device memory can initiate an interrupt or other operation when memory is read, and the driver doesn't seem to handle that.

what graphics card do you have? (I know ATI/AMD had this issue many years ago)
and try again with the skip 'no cache' memory regions
and mem_mapped should be disabled

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my older PC, I was getting these IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs months before a full RAM module fault.
People said it's old drivers (when I always ran the newest one), it's overclocking (when I ran default clock speeds) or that I had a virus (whereas I never had one in my life - paranoia pays off). Some others said it's the firewall (when I had no problem with that, either).
A few months later, I would get beeps from the motherboard instead of booting. I looked up the error code and it said it was a memory problem.
I removed all four RAM modules and tried booting with each. PC did not boot with one. I tried that one in another RAM slot just to make sure that the RAM module is broken and not the slot.
I ended up throwing away a 4GB module (warranty was long gone).
So, my recommendation is that you prepare yourself for having to throw away a RAM module, and disk write errors due to corruptions and crashes.
Make a backup while you can Wink
Tombak
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion this guide would help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: