Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there any downside/limit to using a large offset for cmp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hayjamieoliver
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Is there any downside/limit to using a large offset for cmp? Reply with quote

This is more of a general question, but what I am currently doing is requiring me to compare an instruction's address with a constant one.

I am trying to selectively nop several (3-4) instructions that do inc and dec, and one mov, all using rdi+18. As they all change other addresses as well, I am not able to simply make a script that nops it, I have to have it compare an address with a constant value to (rdi + an offset) so I am able to make the script only do nothing when it is about to handle the address I want to remain unchanged.

The question I am asking is - is there any downside to simply looking for a constant using normal scans, subtracting the address from the address that holds the value I want nopped, and using that as my offset?

I.E say my found constant's address was 445 and my address with the value is D, I would use an offset of 438.

Obviously the real offset would probably be huge.

What I am wondering is, will that work? are there any downsides? because using dissect data structure has been kinda iffy due to it not really working well with a bunch of addresses plugged in (as the offset I use must be different to the equivalent value of the other addresses changed by the opcode.) It's also a lot of work, and finding a constant is looking to be really difficult work, I have yet to confirm even one constant, so I am still on my first opcode.

Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: