Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about pointer scan results...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squerol
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Question about pointer scan results... Reply with quote

Hey.

I have simple question about results from pointer scans (can't find answer anywhere).

So - does always only 1 pointer from my pointer scan result will be the right one?
Does the only 1 right one exists?
Or for example - if I'm left with 92 pointer scan results and can't reduce them anymore, all from those 92 results could be the right ones and won't stop working?

I'm near all time left with 110-89 pointer scan results in my current game (Two Worlds PC cRPG from 2007), and have no idea how to reduce them more - tried starting new game, loading different save files, reseting game, reseting pc, diffirent windows user accounts, different windows version on oracle virtual box (im using win7 64 bit normally and xp 32 bit on virtual machine, rescanning there helped to reduce most of results), can't reduce amount of them anymore... Maybe You have some tips how to reduce them more effectively?

I've taken max offset from instructions from find out what accesses this adress btw. Manual pointer scan is a bit problematic in this game - too much "crossroads" (You know, after searching for next adress with received hex value I get shitload of adresses, I pick one from list, I get shitload of next adresses again etc...)

This game requires level 7 1536 offset scan too - a little bit lower offset setting or even lower level with bigger offset and I'm left with 0 results after first results rescan.

The 110-89 results left for me allways have identical base adress and two last offsets (offset 6 and offset 5) by the way Wink

What's Your thoughts about this? Thank You Wink
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Quote:

So - does always only 1 pointer from my pointer scan result will be the right one?

No, there can be billions of valid paths

Think of the pointerscan like a routeplanner. The further you go away, the more different paths you can take. (e.g think of the number of possible routes you can take from Berlin(Germany) to Madrid (Spain), including dirt roads and pedestrian only pathways...

(another way to look at it: an offset is how many crossings till you take the turn, and the level is how many turns you take)

Code:
Does the only 1 right one exists?

No

Quote:

Or for example - if I'm left with 92 pointer scan results and can't reduce them anymore, all from those 92 results could be the right ones and won't stop working?

It's possible all 92 are valid (small number actually)

What you can do is give a friend your pointer results (or better ask him to give you a pointermap of his game) and do rescans on those results

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
squerol
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thank You very much for quick and accurate answer, it's all clear now Very Happy
squerol
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way DarkByte, I've tested pointerscan results on my friend other PC - the rescan results were identical like on Virtual Box emulated windows XP 32 bit Very Happy (tested more 12 different results files with different amounts of pointer paths - 15, 92, 108, 104, even they were ones with 65328 and 11323716 right pointers Very Happy)

It's pretty nice and much faster method to filter out wrong results I think (emulated different windows version on Oracle Virtual Box)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: