Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help: Dirge of Cerberus base address for HP value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shademp
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Help: Dirge of Cerberus base address for HP value Reply with quote

Pointers might be involved, the problem though is that with the tutorials I've used (Cheat Engine's own tutorial + Stephen Chapman's tutorials) I have not found even a first-level pointer.

EXAMPLE:

Address for player character Vincent's remaining HP: 209F1120

If I take damage while checking "Find out what accesses this address" for 209F1120, these are the "opcodes accessed 209F1120" that pop up.

30BF985C - 8B 01 - mov eax,[ecx]
30AC2E36 - 8B 01 - mov eax,[ecx]
30AC2E90 - 89 11 - mov [ecx],edx
308F2A47 - 0FBF 01 - movsx eax,word ptr [ecx]

I am stumped because the opcode (if I'm using that term in the correct context) I'm expecting, based on tutorials, should look something like this:
mov[edi+1C],ax
mov[esi+1C],cx

If something like this had popped up, with an offset (like +1C) to help me get to a first-level pointer, I would know what to do.

The "word ptr" part in that last opcode when I take damage is beyond my understanding since I don't know assembly, but the ptr (pointer) could obviously be relevant.

What approach do you recommend that I take next?

Here is a list of general observations that might help narrow down why I can't find a base address...assuming that there even is one!
    - HP in Dirge of Cerberus is a 4-byte value. The address ranges I have found HP in is between 2096XXXX and 209FXXXX. Sometimes the same address is re-used between different sections of the game, but this is due to luck.

- The game is divided into checkpoints and 'Extra Missions', so I have found HP addresses for each checkpoint and each mission. These addresses only work each time by me booting up the game in the same state every time, using the exact same memory card save as before. If new progress through the game gets saved however, the addresses for HP change position. Ergo, to keep my codelist functional I boot up the game with the same memory card save 'state' over and over.

- When you move from one checkpoint to the next, usually the address for Vincent's HP will change. Checking what "accesses the address" as I transition between checkpoints has, just like with the previous example, not helped me find an opcode that points out an offset and thus an address that it points to.

- There are many "global/static" addresses that do not change position and so do not require searching for pointers to begin with: Your Total Gil (Money), your inventory menu, game settings/configurations, zone teleporter, etc. NO MATTER when you boot up the game, with or without save files, these addresses and what they control stays fixed.

- The original Japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus came with both Single Player and Multiplayer. The same team worked on both aspects of the game. Maybe knowing that the game was originally programmed with online components might act as a clue here. The version I'm playing did not come with online functionality, but cheat codes generally work the same between the original Japanese release and the later ones. The online mode ended on September 29, 2006.
Shademp
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if finding some form of base address is impossible for this game, I am not having success with scripts.

I used "Rydian's Guide To Basic AOBs And Scripts" (can't post URLs yet since I'm a new member) to create a script to prevent damage from being moved into my remaining Health/HP.

Temporarily this worked, but eventually the script stopped working and I had to create a new one...and then another one...and so on. Attacks that are powerful enough to cause instant death are also still registered and thus lead to Game Over. Apart from having to recreate the script, after a while the box for Active/Inactive for the script refused to be unchecked. I could not disable the script.

There was also the standard consequence of the script making enemies invulnerable unless I was powerful enough to one-shot them, but I can live with that for now. My goal is to find a single script or address for Health to use at all points in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: