Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding the same address again in pointer scan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nero1232
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Finding the same address again in pointer scan Reply with quote

Hi,

So I am searching for a value which has around 90 results that come up all with the exact float I am looking for which is fine. So I pick one and do a pointer scan which finds like 600,000 results, so then I close the game and search for the value again and get the same 90 results.

The question is how am I supposed to find the same address again so I rescan in the pointer scan, if I pick one of the other 90 then the pointer scan will likely fail so I need some way to know which address I should be picking again to narrow the pointer scan down, if that makes sense? I can look at the instructions but most of the instructions are accessing hundreds of floats at once.

Thanks
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally you check to see that it's a value that when changed has a effect in game, this is usually just one.
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheyCallMeTim13 wrote:
normally you check to see that it's a value that when changed has a effect in game, this is usually just one.

In this case it is a look coordinate and it's in VR, none of them have any effect when freezing or changing. Or do you mean nopping the instructions?
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero1232 wrote:
...look coordinate and it's in VR...

Never played with the VR, and camera positions/angles can be tricky, so it's hard to say, but maybe find a value that is related that you can freeze then look to see what accesses them and see if you can find the values you are looking for in or near the instruction that accesses that value.

Or when you find one that you like, manually trace to find a base that is accessed alone some where, hook that just to store the base (see: registerSymbol) even if this is just for pointer scanner it helps but with the hook you really won't need to use the pointer scanner.

But I would think that you could freeze the camera's position, but it may need to be done in code so you would need to find where the freeze is being overwritten, if this happens just before it's read again it'll often undo the effect of the freeze.

Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheyCallMeTim13 wrote:
nero1232 wrote:
...look coordinate and it's in VR...

Never played with the VR, and camera positions/angles can be tricky, so it's hard to say, but maybe find a value that is related that you can freeze then look to see what accesses them and see if you can find the values you are looking for in or near the instruction that accesses that value.

Or when you find one that you like, manually trace to find a base that is accessed alone some where, hook that just to store the base (see: [url=title=Auto_Assembler:registerSymbol]registerSymbol[/url]) even if this is just for pointer scanner it helps but with the hook you really won't need to use the pointer scanner.

But I would think that you could freeze the camera's position, but it may need to be done in code so you would need to find where the freeze is being overwritten, if this happens just before it's read again it'll often undo the effect of the freeze.

So worse comes to worse I could go through each one and NOP the instruction and see if that prevents the camera from moving? Would you expect there to be only one that actually stops it?
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it will be just one but it all depends on the game.

Have you tried manually tracing any of the addresses you found for a base address?

Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheyCallMeTim13 wrote:
Normally it will be just one but it all depends on the game.

Have you tried manually tracing any of the addresses you found for a base address?

Nope how would I do this, I have only used pointer scanner?
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Cheat Engine Tutorial, Step 6 deals with manually finding pointers, and step 8 deals with multilevel pointers.

Cheat Engine Tutorial Guide (x32)

Cheat Engine Tutorial Guide (x64)

Just post here if you have questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: