Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Binary differences between old and new game version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usernotfound
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Binary differences between old and new game version Reply with quote

Hi guys, first to give some background on my situation, recently a game/application had a major update from the developer which caused nearly all of my AOBs to "break" (no longer returns any results). It seems like a lot of instructions either changed or shifted around, I managed to find a few by manually tracing it like before but still a lot of old functions from my scripts I cannot find that simply.

I managed to get a copy of the old version before everything broke, scanning that version still returns the results I need so my question is; is there any other way I can find these functions in the new binary by making comparisons to the old one or maybe searching for something else unique in that memory region? Maybe there is some function to assist in spotting the differences between the two?

(I posted this in General Gamehacking in case maybe something other than CE can be of help here)
atom0s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, people will use structure offsets in their patterns which are victim to this kind of update that happens from time to time. Ideally, you will want to make your patterns only include the main opcode bytes and not the sub-information as required parts of the pattern.

For example, if you have a block of code like this:
Code:
SomeGameFile.dll+12F2 - 41                    - inc ecx
SomeGameFile.dll+12F3 - 88 02                 - mov [edx],al
SomeGameFile.dll+12F5 - 42                    - inc edx
SomeGameFile.dll+12F6 - 84 C0                 - test al,al
SomeGameFile.dll+12F8 - 75 F6                 - jne SomeGameFile.dll+12F0
SomeGameFile.dll+12FA - 8B 44 24 14           - mov eax,[esp+14]
SomeGameFile.dll+12FE - 8B 4C 24 1C           - mov ecx,[esp+1C]
SomeGameFile.dll+1302 - 89 46 10              - mov [esi+10],eax
SomeGameFile.dll+1305 - 89 5E 14              - mov [esi+14],ebx
SomeGameFile.dll+1308 - 89 4E 18              - mov [esi+18],ecx

You will see structure offsets of objects, such as:
Code:

SomeGameFile.dll+1302 - 89 46 10              - mov [esi+10],eax

+10 here would be a potentially changable offset if they decide to insert new information before it inside of the structure. So ideally you would want to make that data a wildcard.

So you could land up creating a generic pattern or more strict patterns such as:

Code:
Generic:
75 ?? 8B 44 24 14 8B 4C 24 1C 89 46 10 89 5E 14 89 4E 18

Strict:
75 ?? 8B 44 24 ?? 8B 4C 24 ?? 89 46 ?? 89 5E ?? 89 4E ?? (Leaving off the last wildcard in your actual search since its not needed, just here for reference.)

Strict x2
75 ?? 8B ?? ?? ?? 8B ?? ?? ?? 89 ?? ?? 89 ?? ?? 89 ?? ??

In the case of Strict x2, you would usually land up needing more data to make a unique signature.
At this point you are making the registers used wildcards so in case things change from:
Code:

mov [esi+10],eax
to
mov [esi+10],edx

The eax to edx change would be a single byte difference, but it will break your entire pattern if its being enforced etc.

If your pattern scanner supports it, you can also do half-byte patterns.

usernotfound
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow just realized I had read this and completely forgot to reply, I feel like an asshole. Thank you so much atom your tips were very helpful, I managed to update things a lot simpler than I thought (using a combination of your methods and also string searching for common things with IDA)

Cheers and thanks again ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: