Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I become an Expert at Cheat Engine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cppdrop
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: How do I become an Expert at Cheat Engine? Reply with quote

Learning Cheat Engine on my own has been pretty hit or miss. Every now and then I will find another game I want to cheat with, I dust off CE and apply what I know, but the success rate is below 40% at getting anything working.

I usually end up stuck after I find what look like the right addresses but then my various attempts to freeze and modify them don't work.

I actually have the time to get better at CE, and I have programming experience (although not with assembler yet), but I don't know the path to take.

Any guidance here?
pellik
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make it through the CE tutorials?

Working with the debugger doesn't really require learning much about assembly. Mostly you just need to understand the general flow of execution and you can sort of imagine what is going on in the program.

The "next step" I think is that instead of changing or freezing those values in the main CE window you instead make your changes in the debugger. See what writes to the value then change that function from something like mov [eax],ebx to mov [eax],#100 or whatever. Then you just keep going deeper and deeper to make things work like you want until it consumes your life.
cppdrop
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through the built in tutorials except the last one (which is about dealing with shared functions...I understand when that would be necessary but I haven't tried figuring out how to code the kind of conditional logic it wants me to write).

When it comes to the debugger, if it's not "mov [eax],ebx" (or something else equally simple like "add") I tend to get lost. It'd be better if I had a convenient, reliable reference for the instructions. Like, right now I can google instructions and other debbuger questions, but it is slower to find the right result, and I have to waste time trying to extract the part I'm looking for and then decide whether or not I am taking what I found out of context from which it was written.
pellik
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you said you have the time to learn...

Try the lena151 reversing tutorial on tuts4you. I looked them over a few years ago and thought they were pretty decent.

Becoming an expert at cheat engine is really about understanding how programs work. If you know what's probably going on under the hood then you also know how to find the frayed edges to pick at.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I become an Expert at Cheat Engine? Reply with quote

cppdrop wrote:
Any guidance here?

All it takes is some basics, a creative mind and lots of time.
Try to do more and more, learn from your mistakes and experience will come.
That's how the human brain works; applies to just about everything we do.

For the basics, look at the tutorials section to get started and take it from there.
For the ASM instructions, download the Intel instruction reference Volume 2 (2A, 2B & 2C) and try to figure out what the CPU does for each instruction (CE gives a hint, but that's useful only if you understand the instructions already).

Reverse the data structures and understand what the code does with the data and then try tapping into the code:
    Make a god mode hack.
    Make a player-only god mode hack.
    Then make an infinite bullet hack.
    Make a no recoil hack.
    Make a jump hack.
    Make a teleport hack.

Try to do it in both ASM and LUA.

Repeat it on another game with another engine.

Once you're done with those, you will have become an expert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: