Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Find code triggered by ingame hotkey?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoofy
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Find code triggered by ingame hotkey? Reply with quote

Is there any way to find code triggered by a hotkey?

Specifically am looking to disable camera reset in dark souls 3, as there's another function (target lock) which uses the exact same hotkey.

It just seems too obscure to find the code in any other way.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimap.
spoofy
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers ++METHOS.

Gave Ultimap a go, pretty simple to use, got 50 results (11 if filtering CALLs only).
But not sure how to find the relevant one and go from there, tried replacing the CALLs/JNE with NOPs the game crashes, any advice?
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimap is not for newbies; it requires an understanding of assembly. You'll have to analyze the code and figure out what's going on and what you need to do to get the desired outcome. There's no simple answer, unfortunately.
spoofy
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah damn, was hoping it would be simple like the scanning part & AOB injections.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be something as simple as changing a jump or nop'ing an instruction, but you'll have to figure out where that needs to happen.
atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Determine how the game handles the key presses then go from there is normally what I do. For example, if the game processes the input via Direct Input, I would look for where the data is being queried for (GetDeviceData / GetDeviceState) and trace back to the call that invoked it. From there trace back as needed til you find where keys are being either compared or checked for input actions.
spoofy
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS wrote:
It might be something as simple as changing a jump or nop'ing an instruction, but you'll have to figure out where that needs to happen.

Thanks, using Ultimap I found a code which only gets executed during the action I wish to disable (camera reset).

Is there any way to find the call/jump that led to this code, and recursively find the source?

That code was in DS3:Scaleform though, iirc that's UI middleware, so maybe I'm on the wrong trail.

atom0s wrote:
Determine how the game handles the key presses then go from there is normally what I do. For example, if the game processes the input via Direct Input, I would look for where the data is being queried for (GetDeviceData / GetDeviceState) and trace back to the call that invoked it. From there trace back as needed til you find where keys are being either compared or checked for input actions.

Nice, how do you find where the directinput data is being queried?
I did a memory search for the text you posted above and found something in protected memory, dunno if it's useful.

Another thing you mention is "tracing back", does that mean cheatengine has capabilities to find the original call that led to the selected code?
I tried doing "back trace" but from what I gather it's a trace with a confusing name, cheers Razz
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, CE will allow you to backtrace and see all of the calls that led to that sub-routine. You can go back as many levels as you want, set breakpoints and step through code to see what is happening and when, to determine what/where you need to manipulate in order to achieve the desired effect.
ulysse31
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoofy wrote:

In memory viewer go to View and click on "Enumerate DLL's and Symbols".
In the new form search for GetDeviceState and GetDeviceData APIs.
Put breakpoint on them.
Start reversing.
Make sure you check the MSDN doc for both APIs
atom0s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoofy wrote:
++METHOS wrote:

Thanks, using Ultimap I found a code which only gets executed during the action I wish to disable (camera reset).

Is there any way to find the call/jump that led to this code, and recursively find the source?

That code was in DS3:Scaleform though, iirc that's UI middleware, so maybe I'm on the wrong trail.

atom0s wrote:

I did a memory search for the text you posted above and found something in protected memory, dunno if it's useful.

Another thing you mention is "tracing back", does that mean cheatengine has capabilities to find the original call that led to the selected code?
I tried doing "back trace" but from what I gather it's a trace with a confusing name, cheers Razz

For DirectInput find where the device pointer is being stored, ie. break on DirectInputCreate8 and hold onto the pointer or find it in memory somewhere. Then find where CreateDevice is being called with it and ensure the GUID is that of Sys_Keyboard. From there you will have the keyboard device pointer and can monitor for GetDeviceData/GetDeviceState calls. The easiest way to do this is to inject and wrap DirectInput assuming that is what is being used for input.

Just depends on the game. If not, check for the window message handler instead, and look for WM_CHAR/WM_KEYDOWN/WM_KEYUP messages, GetAsyncKeyState / GetKeyState etc. type APIs instead.

spoofy
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ulysse31 & @atom0s: wow thanks so much for the detailed instructions, looks really advanced but amazing stuff!

@++METHOS : I spent 3 hour last night and couldn't find any way to get the calling jump, does CE back trace only work with CALLs?
i.e. the only useful code I got with Ultimap has a jump, I already know where the jump leads to a XOR. So to test I tried putting break points check the stack, and also tried break & trace, but it never gave me the the jump that led to it.

Edit also found the CALL when any key is pressed, so what I need is somewhere between this and the scaleform jump below.

Edit2 found a jne which diffrentiate keys in the middle, however it seems much more complicated than that, and what I need might be even farther back, damn so complex ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: