Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DBVM and ASRock Z97 Extreme9 Mobo (CPU: i7-4790K)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: DBVM and ASRock Z97 Extreme9 Mobo (CPU: i7-4790K) Reply with quote

I am having the CRAZIEST issue right now and I wanted to start a thread on it just in case anyone else out there has this same configuration/problem. I've spent HOURS trying to get DBVM to work, but it appears the issue is with my BIOS.

First of all, a quick question for you, Dark Byte: Does CE check the ENABLED/DISABLED status of VT-x directly in the BIOS?

Here's why I ask: When I have VT-x set to ENABLED in my BIOS, it DOES NOT work! CPU-Z shows the VT-x instruction missing and Intel's PIU also shows the system as not having virtualization capabilities. Naturally, CE shows the system as not being DBVM compatible, too.

However, when I set VT-x to DISABLED in my BIOS, it WORKS. Rolling Eyes CPU-Z shows the VT-x instruction, as does Intel's PIU. CE shows my system as being DBVM compatible, but here's where the problems begin. When I click on "Your system supports DBVM" under Help -> About, I get the dialogue box that tells me to enable DBVM. When I click OK, I get another dialogue box that says VT is DISABLED in my BIOS!

So, technically, VT-x IS set to disabled in my BIOS, but that appears to be what actually ENABLES it. How dumb is this!? Shocked So, back to my question to you, does CE see VT-x as being available, but then when I actually go to enable DBVM, it sees that the BIOS is set to "Disabled"?

I just finished sending ASRock Tech Support a detailed email about this problem, and I was able to find another person experiencing the same exact issue with VT-x, which I included in the email. I'm hoping they've just mixed-up enabled/disabled for VT-x and that they can fix it.

Anyway, that's it for now. This has been one of the most ridiculous issues I've had to deal with in all my years, lol. Disabling actually enables...lol.

BTW, I'm not sure if VT-d matters, but having it enabled/disabled doesn't seem to do anything. That could be another BIOS-related problem, though.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your computer currently isn't infected by avast, because it will hijack your system and show that it has no hardware support for VT (because it's using it itself)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao, I like that. I am not infected by Avast. =)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be some other anti virus or protection tool has hijacked your system(or actual malware) . If it's capable of editing the output of the cpuid instruction(an hardware instruction usermode applications can execute without any privilege) so that it looks like the cpu lacks that feature to begin with, then your system is already running inside a virtual machine (the only thing that can change that)

h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm frustrated. I've basically decided to give up on this until I hear back from ASRock. I thought maybe Sandboxie could've been causing the problem, but it wasn't. That's the only other thing it could've been.

As you can see in the attachments below, everything looks okay until I try to enable DBVM. You can see in CPU-Z that VT-x is detected; however, that's with it the BIOS having it set to DISABLED. If I set VT-x to ENABLED in the BIOS itself, nothing sees my system as VT-x capable.

I really think this is an issue with ASRock and their backwards way to enable VT-x by having to select DISABLE in the BIOS.

This is why I was wondering how, exactly, CE checks for VT-x in the BIOS. For all intents and purposes, everything is enabled and all apps can see VT-x functionality...but the BIOS is set to DISABLED, so it technically looks like it's disabled if you're just looking at the setting in BIOS.

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations so far. I'll provide any relevant updates I get from ASRock.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

When you look at the about screen CE uses the cpuid instruction to see if your cpu supports the VT-x instruction set. If it's available, it shows it supports it

when you launch it, ce will check the feature flag (set by the bios) if it's disabled or not. If it's disabled, it'll show that message in 2

The BIOS can not change the cpuid bit that states if the cpu supports the VT-x instruction set.
Since your cpu does lose the VT-x instruction set when VT-x has been enabled, that means your system enters a virtual machine when it's available which removes that feature. (when it's disabled it can't launch it, so can't hide it then)

After uninstalling anti viruses, sandboxes and firewalls, reboot. Else they may keep your system virtualized
If that still doesn't work, disable VT-x and do an anti virus scan

oh yes, check that hyper-v is disabled in windows

h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
oh yes, check that hyper-v is disabled in windows

THIS WAS IT!

lol. I saw your reply before you added that bit (or I just completely missed it the first read-through), but what you said prior to led me to find someone having this issue after Windows Phone-related Hyper-V stuff installed. Sure enough, that was the damn problem the whole time.

I feel dumb now having sent ASRock an email about their BIOS and VT-x. Embarassed Oh well; I'm just happy this is finally working. Thanks so much for all your help/suggestions! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

For any viewers who happen to be reading this and want to know how to check for Hyper-V to possibly disable it, below is a screen shot directing you there.

(Now, for the sake of others searching, the text below is so that people can find this post based on the exact error I had.)

Could not launch DBVM: The Intel-VT feature has been disabled in your BIOS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: