Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make money out of a 48 core server?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gniarf
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: How to make money out of a 48 core server? Reply with quote

Basically the question is: how do you think I could earn €€€ out of my server, with as little attendance as possible ?
You'll find below the various leads I've investigated or tried.

Specs:
CPU: 4*12 cores @ 1.9GHz (4*opteron 6168)
RAM: 32Gb, can upgrade
GPU: radeon HD6990, only 1 free slot
Power bill:
-at full CPU utilization 55€/month (~$70)
-at idle CPU 35€/month ($45)

Current status of my research:

Distributed computing:
Initially I planned to do some cloud computing. Typically you're paid $0.01 per core-hour adjusted according to CPU speed. Turns out my cores are worth 70% of an average core, so my 48 cores running 24/7 should net ~$245/month. Theoretically nice, except that:
-Parabon computation doesn't reply business emails or solicitation through their provider application form. Their site states they usually reply within one week. It's nearly been a year now...
-CPUsage only pays US residents. Joy, I'm in europe...
-Metaquote's MQL5 cloud is the only client I managed to work with. Rate is decent (1 cent/core.hour) but they don't have enough work to keep my baby busy. As a result I earn...$1/mo *gust of wind*, waiting for the day they have more work.
-Gomez peer is single threaded and single instance only (or you get banned). I'm not even sure I'd get $10/YEAR with this sh*t, so let's forget it.
-Cash gopher is most likely like gomez peer, with added advertising popups.
-Bitcoin mining: Considering the slush's pool->mt gox->my bank circuit. Kinda depressing to have to rely on BC mining but whatever. Anyone's got positive/negative feedback about it Question
-Plura processing pays $0.0036/typical_core.hour -> $90/mo given my CPU speed, which is barely enough for electricity bill, assuming they have enough work to keep my cpus busy. I hesitate to start working with them since their payrate is insultingly low.
-Spotcloud is a place where you offer virtual servers (or VM without OS) of your choosing. They requires a business class internet connection (at least 100€/month for 5Mbps SDSL) and one public IP per VM (1€ to 10€/IP.month), but I don't know how much I can charge for dual/quad CPU VMs with 1-2Gb of ram. They have a nice screenshot showing $110/HOUR for a quad core with 2Gb of ram. I'm not on the buyer's side but I highly doubt anyone will buy a server at that price!
If any IT professional reads this, I'd be interested in knowing what kind of VM setup they need, and how much they'd pay for it. (Question)

Anyone knows another cloud computing provider/distributed computing project that pays people Question

Web hosting:
Given my location 5 Mbps SDSL costs 100€/mo, roughly scaling proportionally to bandwidth.
I'm not going to offer domain names, just store and serve the sites.
I asked a webmaster acquaintance of mine for the number of visits on his small websites: 30 to 100 visits a day.
I assume the average page size to be 30kb (though some sources give 1Mb - sounds a lot to me).
If I started web hosting, I would then be able to host about 30 sites (5Mbps connection case) for which I'd charge 5€/mo, which would mean income: 160€/mo, spending 135€/mo...

Is 25 bucks/mo of profit normal for such operation or I'm doing something wrong Question

File hoster/Megaupload 2:
Forget about it, I don't want my drives to be mostly filled with warez. And besides even a 100Mbps connection wouldn't suffice.

Joke answer:
Sell your server/ship it to a company and rent it: I'm not going to part from the most prized part of my collection.

Others:
I'm obviously open to other ideas.

EDIT1:
VOIP Hosting
According to stats gracefully provided by the04riverrat, 512 slots generate about 17Mbps at actual peak usage (theorical peak is about 24Mbps). At best it would net 200€/mo of income, which won't pay the ISP bill for a 18Mbps connection (in my case).

Last edited by Gniarf on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
the04riverrat
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to make money out of a 48 core server? Reply with quote

Gniarf wrote:
Basically the question is: how do you think I could earn €€€ out of my server, with as little attendance as possible ?
You'll find below the various leads I've investigated or tried.

Specs:
CPU: 4*12 cores @ 1.9GHz (4*opteron 6168)
RAM: 32Gb, can upgrade
GPU: radeon HD6990, only 1 free slot
Power bill:
-at full CPU utilization 55€/month (~$70)
-at idle CPU 35€/month ($45)

Current status of my research:

Distributed computing:
Initially I planned to do some cloud computing. Typically you're paid $0.01 per core-hour adjusted according to CPU speed. Turns out my cores are worth 70% of an average core, so my 48 cores running 24/7 should net ~$245/month. Theoretically nice, except that:
-Parabon computation doesn't reply business emails or solicitation through their provider application form. Their site states they usually reply within one week. It's nearly been a year now...
-CPUsage only pays US residents. Joy, I'm in europe...
-Metaquote's MQL5 cloud is the only client I managed to work with. Rate is decent (1 cent/core.hour) but they don't have enough work to keep my baby busy. As a result I earn...$1/mo *gust of wind*, waiting for the day they have more work.
-Gomez peer is single threaded and single instance only (or you get banned). I'm not even sure I'd get $10/YEAR with this sh*t, so let's forget it.
-Cash gopher is most likely like gomez peer, with added advertising popups.
-Bitcoin mining: Considering the slush's pool->mt gox->my bank circuit. Kinda depressing to have to rely on BC mining but whatever. Anyone's got positive/negative feedback about it :?:
-Plura processing pays $0.0036/typical_core.hour -> $90/mo given my CPU speed, which is barely enough for electricity bill, assuming they have enough work to keep my cpus busy. I hesitate to start working with them since their payrate is insultingly low.
-Spotcloud is a place where you offer virtual servers (or VM without OS) of your choosing. They requires a business class internet connection (at least 100€/month for 5Mbps SDSL) and one public IP per VM (1€ to 10€/IP.month), but I don't know how much I can charge for dual/quad CPU VMs with 1-2Gb of ram. They have a nice screenshot showing $110/HOUR for a quad core with 2Gb of ram. I'm not on the buyer's side but I highly doubt anyone will buy a server at that price!
If any IT professional reads this, I'd be interested in knowing what kind of VM setup they need, and how much they'd pay for it. (:?:)

Anyone knows another cloud computing provider/distributed computing project that pays people :?:

Web hosting:
Given my location 5 Mbps SDSL costs 100€/mo, roughly scaling proportionally to bandwidth.
I'm not going to offer domain names, just store and serve the sites.
I asked a webmaster acquaintance of mine for the number of visits on his small websites: 30 to 100 visits a day.
I assume the average page size to be 30kb (though some sources give 1Mb - sounds a lot to me).
If I started web hosting, I would then be able to host about 30 sites (5Mbps connection case) for which I'd charge 5€/mo, which would mean income: 160€/mo, spending 135€/mo...

Is 25 bucks/mo of profit normal for such operation or I'm doing something wrong :?:

File hoster/Megaupload 2:
Forget about it, I don't want my drives to be mostly filled with warez. And besides even a 100Mbps connection wouldn't suffice.

Joke answer:
Sell your server/ship it to a company and rent it: I'm not going to part from the most prized part of my collection.

Others:
I'm obviously open to other ideas.

Well,

I can give you a bit of Insight. but not much.

a 5mbit SDSL line isn't much.

I own my own company and I do several things within my Company.

For Example:

My Company Does CCTV & IP Based Security Solutions.

I have numerous Customers that I have Service contracts for.

In Order to know which Customers need servicing for their Security System all the DVRs report to my ICMS Server.

5mbit would never allow me to do this. The speed would be to much of a bottle neck.

My ICMS system is on a 100MB pipe that is Channelized.

Besides the ICMS system and Security part of my Corporation.

I am an Authorized TS3, Ventrilo & Mumble Host. Ill use my NPO TS3 License for an example here.

Using my Data Stats on just the TS3 Server I can see what my Average Traffic (Inbound / Outbound) is.

And current that is sitting at about well over 7.5mbit per hour.

During Peak Hours. 6pm - 2am PST (which is my time zone) the Bandwidth being used is 17.6mbit during this time period. after that it slowly drops down to about 3.6mbit at the lowest.

my NPO's slot count isn't even at max yet. But stats show that each server on average is using 45% - 75% of their Allows slots.

I used a 3 month time frame to gather these stats.

based on just my TS3's NPO License data usage stats. Your 5mbit line would be Congested throughout the day and unable to handle anything of that size or magnitude.

Mind you I do have several servers all doing different things.

NONE of my servers are running Windows Server 2003 / 2008.

all my servers are using CentOS 6.2

And the Firewall Managing all traffic is Cisco. Actually my whole network architecture of my shelf is Cisco.

Also, my shelf has Unlimited Data. so no cap. just a speed limit of the shelf.

My Provider is 1 Wilshire Data Center, Los Angeles CA. This is actually the Central Hub for all the Internet of Southern California.

And a 100MB Pipe to my Shelf costs me an arm. Which at the Rate I am expanding I will be increasing to about 500MB.

But currently I am waiting out the possibility of having Google Fiber Available at my Business HQ in Nevada or Arizona. Google Fiber would cost me $70 per 1 GB Pipe. And for note this is a TRUE 1 GB pipe. So ordering 20GB from Google that i can channelize is the same price of leasing my Shelf, 100MB Pipe & Routine Maintenance From myself or my 2 retarded techs.

Also here is some Business 101 for you.
      Notes:
      (Green = Incoming > Outgoing Cash Flow by a large margin.)

(Red = Outgoing > Incoming Cash Flow by a large margin.)

(Black = 1 of the following 3. Outgoing > Incoming Cash flow by small Amount. or Outgoing = Incoming Cash Flow. or Incoming > Outgoing by Small amount.)

1) Starting Up a company Costs you LOTS of money.
    2) You will not see profits Right out of the starting gate. because of a few Factors. Start Up Cost. Monthly Expenses. Taxes. Regulatory Fees. ETC ETC.
    3) Even with Profits starting to be seen. Don't Expect to be out of the Red and into the Black; or possibly the Green, within the 1st 2 - 5 years.
    4) Starting an Internet Based Business is a Hard market to compete in because it is a heavily saturated market.

Anyways, this is what I would Suggest for you to do.

Start Small
    1) Get a Small Consumer Base. *this is actually the hardest part is starting up & gaining a consumer base.*
    2) Find your niche. (I recommend you do something that you like to do. I like doing Security Systems & Hosting VOIPs)
    3) Figure out how to market yourself.
    4) Try to Minimize your costs.
    5) Be efficient.
    6) Setup your business hours. (Mine are 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday)
    7) Figure out if you want to use Email or Phone as your primary way of being contacted during business hours. (I started out using Email & evolved to Submit a question & receive an Email response.)
    8) Continue expanding and developing your business.

Just for you to know.

I am 22. I own my Corporation. I Operate within 3 States of the USA (California, Arizona & Nevada). I Started my Business when I was 19 going on 20.

I used my Personal Contacts, Their Contacts & word of mouth as my method of Advertising. Word of mouth gives the Best/Worst PR for any company.

I Started my Business in California at 1st. But do to how this state operates I choose to leave ASAP.

It took me 1 year to acquire the required funds to be able to Dissolve my Business in California. Then Reopen in Nevada & acquired my Foreign Entity Licenses for California, Big River County of Arizona (which i then Applied for and acquired the license for the whole State of Arizona.)

That was the 2nd Time I had done the *Start Up* but there was a difference. I already had the Consumer Base I had built up During my 1st year of Business. And I Transferred those clients to the new company. From there i Continued to grow.

This year is my 3rd year of Operation. And even now I am Still in the Red. But just by a small Margin. I am hoping to be within the black by the end of this Fiscal Year (December 31st, 2012 is the end of the fiscal year for Business)

My Initial investment of the Start Up: $75,000.

Monthly Expenses 1st year of business: $5,000 - $25,000 per month.

1st Month Income of 1st Year: $1,500

12th Month income of 1st year: $10,000

Average Income Per month of 1st year: $4,000 - 12,000

2nd Year.

Monthly Expenses: $5,000 - $25,000

Monthly Profits: $24,000 - $42,000
(I got Pretty lucky. But that was only Because of My Contacts. They Talked to people they knew about my company and told them how Efficient I was, The Reasonable Prices, The Expertise & Knowledge of Security Solutions I have, & most importantly how I Conducted myself As a Person & Business owner.)

How I branded myself & my company has completely been the reason I have succeed in doing everything.

This is my 3rd year. And I am in the Last Quarter of the Year.

I am in the Red by $45,000.

I have Spent Most of this year Spending Money. Upgrading everything. and opening new lines of business.

I bought my Shelf at 1 Wilshire. Bought the Servers, Firewalls, Switches from Cisco. this set me back $135,000

Invested 10s of thousands into my Education. Gaining my CCENT / CCT, CCNA for Voice & Security. These Courses & the Certs set me back over $30,000.

I Also renewed my C7 License for the State of California, Arizona & nevada. Another $2,000 Set back.

During this 3rd year I have offered all my Current Clients & Customers to put my name out there. Talk to people (Friends, Family, Other Business owners) About me and my company.

In return. I gave them a Special Promo code. They give this promo code out to people who might be interested.

This Promo Code would give new Customers Special Deals on Installations & Services i offer.

It also tells me Which Client of mine told the person about my business. And in return if this person they referred to me becomes 1 of my clients. I give them client who referred them to me a Discount of 20% on their next Service Contract Renewal & Security System upgrade. Which 100% of them Have used this year! which generated Extra Income from Pre-existing Clients & Expanded my Customer Base.

Also I do have a Catch for the Clients who i offer this to. Then need to generate at least 5 New Clients for me. These New Clients have to Choose 1 of the services i Provide. Once 1 has gotten me 5. i Flag them for the discount on the Next Contract Renewal form.

Anyways,
Just some Insight to how I Operate and Do things with my Company.

Also, I am an American Base company and I really don't know how it works over in europe. Unless you are in Holland. Then I actually know a bit as i do have lots of family who live there and Conduct business within Holland. And I am Considering Opening up an Import & Export business to Holland & England. So I am working on understanding what I need to do Exactly.

And sorry for the Wall-o-text. I'm just stuck awake and can't sleep cause I'm to excited about the busy week I have that starts at 9am today!
Gniarf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your valuable stats. I hadn't even thought about voip hosting. Since 512 slots generate 17Mbps of usage and at best 200€/mo of income (were it not an NPL) that wouldn't even pay the ISP bill in my unfortunate case. But thank you for the idea anyway.

I guess I should really make an effort to get more than 5Mbps but given the fact I live in the buttock of nowhere I'm not sure I can technically get more than 18Mbps EFM or a double such EFM (no traffic volume quota either way). I don't know the price.

As for OS choice, I've been a windowser for a long time and I can tell something is odd by looking at where an exe is located or how it's named. At worst I can hex edit/debug it to see if it looks like an usual exe. Under linux I don't have such experience. Last time I used a linux (it was 10 years ago, when the average linuser knew the "mount" command) there were at least half a dozen places where a .prg could be stored and I remember banging my head trying to find where my game had spread its files. I don't know how things have evolved since then,but if I can't find a legit program's files, wish me luck finding a malware... Nothing that can't be fixed with experience, but experience take time, trial and error. The latter being fairly problematic when you have clients that pay.

Since you're a (C)CENT: a given ISP says it gives 4 public IPs with its SDSL offers, amongst which one is mine and 3 are used for routing. Any idea why they need 3 public IPs for that? 1 IP I can understand somehow, the router get its own management IP, but 3?

Stupid question: when you have many customers like for your vent/mumble servers, how do you check if each have paid? I'm guessing manually checking your bank account and looking up each transaction is both tedious and error-prone.

Lastly: I don't understand this new trend of apologizing for making rich long answers, but that's probably because I write walls myself. Anyway you're "forgiven" and good luck @work.
the04riverrat
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gniarf wrote:
Thanks for your valuable stats. I hadn't even thought about voip hosting. Since 512 slots generate 17Mbps of usage and at best 200€/mo of income (were it not an NPL) that wouldn't even pay the ISP bill in my unfortunate case. But thank you for the idea anyway.

I guess I should really make an effort to get more than 5Mbps but given the fact I live in the buttock of nowhere I'm not sure I can technically get more than 18Mbps EFM or a double such EFM (no traffic volume quota either way). I don't know the price.

As for OS choice, I've been a windowser for a long time and I can tell something is odd by looking at where an exe is located or how it's named. At worst I can hex edit/debug it to see if it looks like an usual exe. Under linux I don't have such experience. Last time I used a linux (it was 10 years ago, when the average linuser knew the "mount" command) there were at least half a dozen places where a .prg could be stored and I remember banging my head trying to find where my game had spread its files. I don't know how things have evolved since then,but if I can't find a legit program's files, wish me luck finding a malware... Nothing that can't be fixed with experience, but experience take time, trial and error. The latter being fairly problematic when you have clients that pay.

Since you're a (C)CENT: a given ISP says it gives 4 public IPs with its SDSL offers, amongst which one is mine and 3 are used for routing. Any idea why they need 3 public IPs for that? 1 IP I can understand somehow, the router get its own management IP, but 3?

Stupid question: when you have many customers like for your vent/mumble servers, how do you check if each have paid? I'm guessing manually checking your bank account and looking up each transaction is both tedious and error-prone.

Lastly: I don't understand this new trend of apologizing for making rich long answers, but that's probably because I write walls myself. Anyway you're "forgiven" and good luck @work.

Well, to check who has paid and who hasn't paid.

Each client's Invoice is Attached to their VOIP server.

If they Pay the Bill. The a Command to turn their server off will be ignored if the Invoice was Paid.

If the Due Date comes and passes then my Invoicing Program Sends them a Late Notice. with a 2 Day Extension. If they still don't pay then the Invoice Program Executes the Stop Server Script.

Which then Changes the String that is next executed on their Server to the Start Server Script. That way if they pay After the 2day period has passed then it will turn their Server back on.

Also, I have been a Windows User for a Long time. From Windows 95 - Win7. And I Know Dos.

I have been using Linux for a While. I 1st stepped into Linux when i was 16. and actually I learned Unix 1st at 16 then stepped into Linux learnin CentOS and Fedora 7.

Now I have Evolved to CentOS 6.2 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Currently All my Servers are on the CentOS 6.2.

I am actually getting ready to install another Server that I have Loaded with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

And to Answer your ISP Question.

I just had to Do this Today.

My Customer Today ordered and SDLS Line from AT&T to replace their ADSL Line.

They were give 4 Public IP addresses.

I'll use an Example of what I do with this.
    1) I Contact the ISP and obtain all Information. Username & Password to Authenticate the Static Addresses Allocated to their SDLS Line.
    2) Open Up the SDLS address for the Private Network.
    3) Setup the router. Using the IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS1, DNS2. Most ISP's make you use a Login & Password to gain access to the internet, So i also input those into their fields on the Manual Setup Page.
    4) The 3 Other Addresses which are used for routing are actually yours.
    5) I had To Assign their Camera System to 1 of those 3 Public IPs. I did this using a Port Forward Rule on the Firewall.
    6) You can use those 3 IP addresses to create a WAN network for Guests, Wireless etc etc.
    7) I Also made a WAN access to their 2nd Network by Bridging that Network to the SDSL Router & Routing Traffic through the WAN

Least that is how SDSL works from AT&T here in the U.S.

And actually they didn't get 4 IP addresses. They got a Block of 10 Static IP addresses.

1 IP = Routers IP.
1 IP = Routers Gateway.
8 = Public IPs For routing purposes.

my Customer has 2 Networks.

Router Config (Just an Example)
IP: 12.1.51.121
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 12.1.51.130
Static IP Range for Routing: 12.1.51.122 - 12.1.51.129

Network A)
IP: 192.168.1.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.248
Gateway: 192.167.1.1
I routed this Network to the 1st Public Address.

Network B)
IP: 192.168.2.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.248
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
I routed this Network to the 2nd Public Address.

Hope that helps you.
Gniarf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the04riverrat wrote:
Each client's Invoice is Attached to their VOIP server.
I don't quite understand what "attached" means there. Does that mean that you have one bank account per voip server and any deposit on a given account would be invoices from customer XXX?
dbmix
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Are you still looking for a service where you can sell your server out? I also have a 40 core multithreaded intel server and I'm struggling to get some money back from it. I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice about this issue.

Thx

Gniarf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dbmix: Unfortunately I didn't find a good way to use my CPUs. I still run metaquote's metatester but the income is insignificant.

Currently I earn my living on cryptocurency mining but that's GPU computation.
...Thinking again about it, I read a few days ago that there are cryptocurencies designed to run better on CPU rather than GPU, have a look at that.

@the04riverrat: back then I didn't know paypal sent an email each time someone makes a deposit on your account, now that I know linking invoice to servers seems pretty simple.

dbmix
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the reply..

Is it worth trying?? I will look into it.

Gniarf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just coming out of a 24h test mining primecoins, result: it's not profitable. I made 0.569 XPM in 24h which given current exchanges rates is about 45€/month and thus doesn't even pay the power bill. It's even worse if you count the taxes...

More details on my primecoin experience:
-I mined for 8 hours on rpool, but didn't get anything or earned too few coins for the pool to report it.
-I mined for 4 hours on ypool and made 0.03038516 coins (~0.18 coins/day).
-I mined for 24 hours on beeeeer.org and made 0.569 coins. It should be noted that mining with 48 instances of a single threaded miner is faster that mining with 1 instance of 32 threads and one of 16 threads. Actually the 32+16 configuration doesn't even max out cpu usage, so I had to run a 32+32 thread config which is still 20% slower than 48 single threaded miners.

If someone is interested in my stats: opteron 6168 running xolo's primeminer, ~170 primes/s.thread, 0.005 chains/day.thread, difficulty 10.41800243.

dbmix, did you find anything interesting on your end?
As for me I guess I'll have to try another cpu coin...

EDIT 1 (2014-01-19): Tried quark coins today, not worth it either.
I made 1.15472 quarks in about 4 hours at 3.6 MHash/s -> 16€/month.
For future reference block reward was 4 QRK/block.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: