Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Tutorial] How to hack Snes Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkwalker31
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: [Tutorial] How to hack Snes Games Reply with quote

Summary: Hacking games such as Final Fantasy 2,3,4,5,6 and other popular RPG games on snes couldnt get any easier. I used emulator called 'snes9x' in this tutorial.

Note: Most games that ive come across on snes require the 2 Byte type of scan. To find and edit the values for hp, mana, gold, exp and such is really quite simple. For example:

------------Finding the HP/MANA Value----------

Step 1.
Open snes9x.exe and load your rom, when your in the game check the value of your hp, lets say its 120.
Step 2. Open Cheat Engine attach it to the snes9x.exe, change the type of search to 2 Byte then scan for 120.
Step 3. You probably come up with heaps of results, so in game get into a fight and get hit so your hp lowers. Lets say after the fight your hp was 102.
Step 4. Type in 102 and click 'Next Scan'
Step 5. You most likely come up with 1 or even 2 addresses. Add both of them and change it to what ever you want your hp to be.

Note: If you get 2 addresses check which one works by changing the value of one of them to 9999 and freezing it and getting into a fight again to check if it actualy effected your real hp.

------------Important/Useful----------

If you're using 'snes9x' emulator finding anything is much simpler because you dont have to get into a fight as you can use the save/load function thats not is most of other emulators i came across. This means you could scan the HP of your char on 'Slot 1 Save' load 'Slot 2 Save' (which has different value for hp, and scan it to get the value.

------------Finding the Gold----------

1. Starting from 'Step 2', lets say your Gold was '345 GP', Use the 2 Byte Value Type and search 345. You might get heaps of results or if your lucky 10-20.
[2.Shortcut - Not Required] Save the game to 'Slot X'.
3. Sell/Buy/Fight so the value of your gold changes, lets say you killed a monster and he dropped 25GP. Now your GP value is '370'. Type '370' in the 'Value:' and click 'Next Scan'. This should decrease the amount of different addresses gradually getting to the real GP Value.
[4. Shortcut - Not Required] Save the game to 'Slot Y'.
[5. Shortcut - Not Required] Load 'Slot X' and scan '345' again. Repeat this step as many times as you want to get the final value.

When you're done freeze value at what ever value you want and freeze. Then you can buy what ever you want.

------------Finding the EXP----------

EXP is a little harder to find, theres three types of EXP.

Type 1 - The EXP your character currently has.
Type 2 - The EXP you get after each fight.
Type 3 - The EXP you need to level up.[Optional]

-Type 1 EXP
You could get the value of exp the same way as Gold or Hp, but Type 1 exp can only get you to a certain level on some games. For example you could set it to '99999' Cheat Engine will most likely round it to some random number like '32000', you then freeze the value. Now each time you get exp from a fight you level up, this happens until you reach '32000' exp. From there you have to unfreeze the value and switch to [Type 2 EXP].

-Type 2 EXP
After you win a fight you get a certain amount of exp, for example '205'.

1. So you choose 2 Byte Value Scan once again and search for 205.
2. Get into a fight and win, this time you get only '180' exp. Type in '180' and click 'Next Scan'. If theres still lots of addresses keep fighting and repeating the same step, you could also use the Save/Load shortcut.

When you're done set the value to '99999' and again cheat engine will round it to some random number. Freeze it and now every time you win a fight you get '99999' EXP.

-Type 3 EXP - Warning!: Only works on some games. [Optional]
So far i found this in only one game, you could try this but its optional. It makes leveling easier. This time you scan the EXP you need to level up, for example '155'. Fight a monster and might receive 25 EXP, type in '130' and click 'Next Scan'. Keep doing this until you get the real value. You then change the value to '1' and Freeze.

Now every time you fight you only need 1 EXP to level up.

------------More Scanning---------
Theres many other things you can hack using the '2 Byte Value Type', its really simple. Just follow the same procedure. In the end you could hit '9999' to every monster. You could also get the hp of each monster you fight and change it to 1 so you can 1 shot kill them. I advise you do the cheat engine tutorial first, it really helps.

Good Luck with Snes Hacking!

Tutorial Made by - Darkwalker31
Hatashi
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, I can honestly say though, that trying to modify Secret of Mana 2, is fucking ridiculous, I couldn't seem to find the Mana address, for the LIFE of me and it was pretty damn frustrating.

I tried 1 byte, 2 byte, 4 byte, 8 byte, float, Double, All, and Text...

Not a god damn thing, I never knew that a value so obvious could be so stupid to find.

Great tutorial though Very Happy
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tutorial, btw what game did the type 3 exp work on for you?

Also, it is good to hear someone has an emulator same as me ;>
OldSchool_NES_Gamer
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Difficult hack for Zelda : ALTTP on Snes9X (Rupee) Reply with quote

Hi guys! I need help with the "pointers" part of CE. I can't seem to figure that part out at all...Sad I am working with "The Legend of Zelda : A Link To The Past" ROM using the Emulator called Snes9X v1.53 on Win7's 64 bit OS. I found the spot where the end result for the rupees are stored, but whenever I try to change the values temporarily, it pulls the value back down to it's original level. When I try to change it permanently, it crashes the game as soon as I go into another scene. I want to max out the rupees and hold it there but this is really proving a bit difficult for me. I could REALLY use your help on this one, guys. Y'all seem to know a lot about CE as related to SNES games. I think it has something to do with pointers, but haven't quite figured that out yet. I tried not to waste space on the forum talking about a particular game, But since I am a n00b to the blog, I am not able to PM anyone right now. I do wish I could talk to someone live about this because I think it would help me the most, but I need someone who can be patient with me, especially if I don't understand what you may think might be a basic concept that everyone should already be familiar with. I understand a little bit about CE but I can't seem to wrap my head around the "pointers" topic too well... I couldn't get past lesson 6 in the tutorial...Sad Btw, I am not familiar with assembly, (but I want to be!!Wink.) Any help you guys can give would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time guys!!

Last edited by OldSchool_NES_Gamer on Mon May 27, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchool_NES_Gamer-

Please start a new thread for this discussion, and I will gladly help. I published a trainer for this game, some time ago, with some basic options:

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=563757

I did not use a single script (inject any code), so it should be fairly easy for you.
OldSchool_NES_Gamer
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok will delete post and start a new thread with the same post in it..... ok guess I can't delete this one. anyway the new thread is on "Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Rupee help for Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past (Snes9X)"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: