Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


IS C# a good language to make a game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dataflashsabot
Newbie cheater
Reputation: 0

Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a Swing (or whatever it is) GUI I will hate you forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cpt.Slow
Cheater
Reputation: 0

Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone wrote:
slovach wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
Java is great for web applications and 2d games, but I don't see quake being made in Java.
So depending on the type of game you're looking to make, C's or Java could either be good.


quake2 has already been done in java.

http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Touche, I should know by now that quake's been rebuilt in every coding language possible.
But my point is Java isn't the strongest for advanced 3d games.


Java has full access to OpenGL via LWJGL. You'd be surprised, if you actually tried Java, at how fast it can actually be. Check some reliable benchmarks between Java and C++. There's a few scenarios where Java is faster.

Java being slow is a myth. It might be slow to load a program from a JAR, but that's only because it's got to unpack everything first. It's like running an EXE straight out of an archive.


tl;dr Java is actually pretty good for developing games and I prefer it's OO implementation over C++'s

_________________
Now let's cause some fucking havoc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
masterzero
Expert Cheater
Reputation: 1

Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpt.Slow wrote:
Stone wrote:
slovach wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
Java is great for web applications and 2d games, but I don't see quake being made in Java.
So depending on the type of game you're looking to make, C's or Java could either be good.


quake2 has already been done in java.

http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Touche, I should know by now that quake's been rebuilt in every coding language possible.
But my point is Java isn't the strongest for advanced 3d games.


Java has full access to OpenGL via LWJGL. You'd be surprised, if you actually tried Java, at how fast it can actually be. Check some reliable benchmarks between Java and C++. There's a few scenarios where Java is faster.

Java being slow is a myth. It might be slow to load a program from a JAR, but that's only because it's got to unpack everything first. It's like running an EXE straight out of an archive.


tl;dr Java is actually pretty good for developing games and I prefer it's OO implementation over C++'s

http://www.jelovic.com/articles/why_java_is_slow.htm
Its not a myth. Java is slower and takes up more memory at times :/. Indeed it does well on benchmarks but in real world scenarios, it fails to meet up to those in comparison to C++. It is easier to make cross platform games in java though so each has their advantages.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cpt.Slow
Cheater
Reputation: 0

Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterzero wrote:
Cpt.Slow wrote:
Stone wrote:
slovach wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
Java is great for web applications and 2d games, but I don't see quake being made in Java.
So depending on the type of game you're looking to make, C's or Java could either be good.


quake2 has already been done in java.

http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Touche, I should know by now that quake's been rebuilt in every coding language possible.
But my point is Java isn't the strongest for advanced 3d games.


Java has full access to OpenGL via LWJGL. You'd be surprised, if you actually tried Java, at how fast it can actually be. Check some reliable benchmarks between Java and C++. There's a few scenarios where Java is faster.

Java being slow is a myth. It might be slow to load a program from a JAR, but that's only because it's got to unpack everything first. It's like running an EXE straight out of an archive.


tl;dr Java is actually pretty good for developing games and I prefer it's OO implementation over C++'s

http://www.jelovic.com/articles/why_java_is_slow.htm
Its not a myth. Java is slower and takes up more memory at times :/. Indeed it does well on benchmarks but in real world scenarios, it fails to meet up to those in comparison to C++. It is easier to make cross platform games in java though so each has their advantages.


Yeah, it does take up more memory but it's not that much of a problem any more with 64bit and >4GB of RAM in most modern PC's.

When was that article written? I'd like to find out more about where C++ is better and where Java is better.

I've read: http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchjoe.html which was written in 2003. Java should be even faster 7 years on, I can't see C++ being much different than it was then. I suppose it depends on the compiler though.

As for my experience of them both so far, (5 years of C, only 2 of Java) I've found myself more drawn to Java because I've never made an intense game. It always runs as well as it would if I wrote it in C++ but it's easier to manage and read.

I think http://minecraft.net/ is a pretty good example of what can be achieved in Java. It'd be better if it wasn't only distributed as an applet though because they use way more CPU time. I've heard the release candidate is going to be an application though.

There are some good commercial solutions written in Java too. An example of a WIP: http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2010

To sum up what I thing:
Java being slow IS a myth. It might be slower than C++ at some things but it isn't slow.

_________________
Now let's cause some fucking havoc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NINTENDO
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme
Reputation: 0

Joined: 02 Nov 2007
Posts: 1372

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterzero wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
slovach wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
Java is great for web applications and 2d games, but I don't see quake being made in Java.
So depending on the type of game you're looking to make, C's or Java could either be good.


quake2 has already been done in java.

http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Touche, I should know by now that quake's been rebuilt in every coding language possible.
But my point is Java isn't the strongest for advanced 3d games.

it still can do a pretty decent job
http://jmonkeyengine.com/blog/screenshots/

who wants a decent game??

and ye c# is awesome to make games. But several other languages will do the job.

_________________
Intel over amd yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
konr
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme
Reputation: 126

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 1546

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryoma wrote:
masterzero wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
slovach wrote:
Lưcky7 wrote:
Java is great for web applications and 2d games, but I don't see quake being made in Java.
So depending on the type of game you're looking to make, C's or Java could either be good.


quake2 has already been done in java.

http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Touche, I should know by now that quake's been rebuilt in every coding language possible.
But my point is Java isn't the strongest for advanced 3d games.

it still can do a pretty decent job
http://jmonkeyengine.com/blog/screenshots/

who wants a decent game??

and ye c# is awesome to make games. But several other languages will do the job.
I want a decent game. Hurpppppaderpppp. You're acting as if C# and Java are all that alike. Sure they are in some ways but Java is cross compatible with a fucking shit ton of platforms, where as C# needs the .NET framework, amongst other things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I've interpreted it. No doubt the person to correct me will be Slugsnack Razz
_________________
“If a man is not a Socialist at 20 he has no heart, but if he remains one at 30 he has no head.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Flyte
Peanuts!!!!
Reputation: 6

Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konr wrote:
I want a decent game. Hurpppppaderpppp. You're acting as if C# and Java are all that alike. Sure they are in some ways but Java is cross compatible with a fucking shit ton of platforms, where as C# needs the .NET framework, amongst other things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I've interpreted it. No doubt the person to correct me will be Slugsnack Razz


http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

C# also has XNA, which means seamless deployment to the Xbox Live Arcade if you are so inclined.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorg hi
I post too much
Reputation: 7

Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 2276
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. my Computer Science class is taught in JAVA not C#. So I guess I'll make a game in Java.
_________________
CEF will always stay alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atom0s
Moderator
Reputation: 133

Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Posts: 7059
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyte wrote:
konr wrote:
I want a decent game. Hurpppppaderpppp. You're acting as if C# and Java are all that alike. Sure they are in some ways but Java is cross compatible with a fucking shit ton of platforms, where as C# needs the .NET framework, amongst other things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I've interpreted it. No doubt the person to correct me will be Slugsnack Razz


http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

C# also has XNA, which means seamless deployment to the Xbox Live Arcade if you are so inclined.


Along with Windows Mobile development too. (+1 platform.)

_________________
- Retired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorg hi
I post too much
Reputation: 7

Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 2276
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the C# XNA and its a lot better compared to java. But for education purposes I'm going to create my own Game Engine for fun in java.
_________________
CEF will always stay alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

CE Wiki   IRC (#CEF)   Twitter
Third party websites