Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VC++ 2010 or VB 2010 or VB6???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zinglish
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: VC++ 2010 or VB 2010 or VB6??? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new here, and new to memory writting. Although I am quite an experienced VB6 programmer and have scripted in Pawn for SA-MP for 3 years. So I have some C++ experience (Pawn is similar to C++) and some Visual Basics experience.

So I was wondering...which one would be easier/better to program with to create trainers? VC++ 2010 or VB 2010 or VB6???
Jesper
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's best but I like to use C++ when doing memory editing just because it's easier then in VB6.
atom0s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no best. Each language is developed for specific reasons, or to enhance prior versions. Regardless of what most will post, it will be nothing but opinions. It's a matter of choice on your part. Pick which one you are most comfortable with getting into.

My opinions based on the languages you posted:

VB6:
It can do it, but, it's not worth it. The language is dead, and has been for years now. There is no official support, no new patches, and the language has limitations which you will sooner or later run into with deeper development. Don't bother with it.

VB.NET / C#:
Both can do trainers and other 'hacking' applications. Both offer easy GUI creation with drag and drop interface development and so on. If you are looking for something to get into easily, one of these would probably be the better for you. (I would suggest C# over VB.NET though.)

C++:
If you pick this, I would suggest not getting into VC++ though. Just leave .NET out of the picture as it is not needed. Overall I would suggest C++ personally. This will take you longer to learn, which you will never learn everything since the language is always growing and so on. But it will give you the most advantages and expandability of the languages you listed.

hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Go download a copy of Visual Studio, it has a free version that's pretty much fully featured. Install C++ and C# and play around a bit.

Don't mix up managed C++ with native C++ though. Managed C++ (as in C++.NET) is dead and for good reason tbh.
Flyte
Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slovach wrote:
Don't mix up managed C++ with native C++ though. Managed C++ (as in C++.NET) is dead and for good reason tbh.

The newer iteration, C++/CLI, has its uses. Namely: creating wrappers for native code to use in the .NET framework.
Zinglish
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...C++ is the way to go?

I'm trying to understand what the difference between .NET programming and C++ native programming > What's the difference? If I should stay away from .NET programming, how will I create the GUIs?

If I want a GUI will I use VC++ to generate it, then write my code around that (Similar to what I do with VB6) or do I have to learn the hard way and actually code my GUI and that?

Thanks for the replies!
Slugsnack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference us code you write natively will result in a code generation which maps directly to the target platform's instruction set. With .NET, the code generated is for an intermediate language which is interpreted at runtime.

In terms of GUIs you have 2 main ways to approach : pure WinAPI or resources. You can google both to learn more.
Zinglish
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I did a quick search on Google to find out what the differences betweem .NET programming and native coding is. This is what I gathered:

.NET programming is using a supplied library so code, although easier, it runs with a lot more RAM usage. Native code uses all API calls and no library calls...So basically one .NET call could mean a whole bunch of API calls and declarations right?

Just tell me if I'm wrong or right. Although I'm not particularly concerned about resource usage, I don't want to pick up any bad habits, using VB6 for 3 years has already gotten me into some bad habits already!
Slugsnack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be mixing up the concept if a runtime framework with runtime libraries. If you use APIs in any language you are still doing library calls unless you use static linking. Then essentially you just copy the code you would originally call. The .NET framework does supply many functions for you to call and you are right in that the mapping to windows APIs is often not one-to-one. The way that other frameworks like java work is that underlyingly, the virtual machine translates java function calls to winapis, simply providing a wrapper to native functions in whichever platform it is running on at that point in time.
Zinglish
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a tiny example differentiating one from the other pweeez.

I'm having a hard time understanding what each one means. Maybe if I see some code comparison I'll be able to understand...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: