Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Language Selection

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RebelPilotX
Newbie cheater
Reputation: 0

Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Location: Kangaroo Island, Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Language Selection Reply with quote

Compared to all the other languages, which would you prefer for a game?

JAVA?

C++

C#?

i was wondering cause i'm trying to learn C # (sharp) right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26

Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 5804

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use whatever you feel comfortable with, period.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChainRule
Cheater
Reputation: 1

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally it would be C++ since most mid-wares are developed in that and is probably easier to use. Java wouldn't be a bad language but it will be slower compared to C++ or C#.

C# is kind of in between. It uses a virtual machine just like Java, but unlike Java, it's a one time only virtual machine. So C# actually runs locally after the 1st time compared to Java always running in JVM.

Now, other than that, the most important factor in deciding what language to use is what library the language has in terms what you need for your game. For example, if you are going to use OpenGL, you probably want to use C++. Even thought there is a Java version of OpenGL, it's not as complete and fast.

It is not recommended that you create your own graphics engine since it would involve a great deal of design, implementation, and debug; and on top of that, you probably will have to learn a LOT of math to even create a basic one. So, you should look into a graphics engine first before even picking a language.

Anyways, hope those help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26

Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 5804

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChainRule wrote:
Ideally it would be C++ since most mid-wares are developed in that and is probably easier to use. Java wouldn't be a bad language but it will be slower compared to C++ or C#.

C# is kind of in between. It uses a virtual machine just like Java, but unlike Java, it's a one time only virtual machine. So C# actually runs locally after the 1st time compared to Java always running in JVM.

Now, other than that, the most important factor in deciding what language to use is what library the language has in terms what you need for your game. For example, if you are going to use OpenGL, you probably want to use C++. Even thought there is a Java version of OpenGL, it's not as complete and fast.

It is not recommended that you create your own graphics engine since it would involve a great deal of design, implementation, and debug; and on top of that, you probably will have to learn a LOT of math to even create a basic one. So, you should look into a graphics engine first before even picking a language.

Anyways, hope those help.


The argument of speed is practically useless here, he's obviously a hobbyist.

Just about any language you go with is going to be far far faster than you'll ever need it to be for a hobbiest game, unless for some reason you need to make a game that runs faster than several thousand FPS or your computer is a sewing machine.

If you are ever performance bound, chances are you are either doing something silly or there is much better way to tackle the problem at hand.

And the math is much, much more relaxed for a 2D engine, which any aspiring developer should be writing to start out with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cryoma
Member of the Year
Reputation: 195

Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 1848

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java is best for puzzle/2d games.
If you're working with 3d, that eliminates Java.
Go with C++, you can do anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
False Prophet
Expert Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of "which language is best" is not pratical.
Every language has it's own use. And every language can do what the programmer needs it to do.

Saying which language is good for 2d and 3d makes little sense at all because this is simply not true. Java and C++ are object oriented languages. Both are capable of working in 3D. Both are capable of the same thing. Both are crossplatform.
C# is bad because it works in the .NET platform. Which requires the people who play your game to also .NET installed on their computer.


To the OP:
I'd recommend starting small if you are new to programming. C++ is a great way to start, but don't expect to be writting a computer game right off the start because it won't happen immediately, it will take time. Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26

Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 5804

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oggy wrote:
Saying which language is good for 2d and 3d makes little sense at all because this is simply not true. Java and C++ are object oriented languages. Both are capable of working in 3D. Both are capable of the same thing. Both are crossplatform.
C# is bad because it works in the .NET platform. Which requires the people who play your game to also .NET installed on their computer.


You need java installed to use java, fyi. Just because you wrote C++ code doesn't mean you made it portable.

.NET is already installed on Vista onward and is automatically downloaded through Windows update.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flyte
Peanuts!!!!
Reputation: 6

Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're starting out, just use C#. XNA makes all the drawing ezmode and it's completely portable (assuming you designed it within MONO guide-lines).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
False Prophet
Expert Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slovach wrote:
Oggy wrote:
Saying which language is good for 2d and 3d makes little sense at all because this is simply not true. Java and C++ are object oriented languages. Both are capable of working in 3D. Both are capable of the same thing. Both are crossplatform.
C# is bad because it works in the .NET platform. Which requires the people who play your game to also .NET installed on their computer.


You need java installed to use java, fyi. Just because you wrote C++ code doesn't mean you made it portable.

.NET is already installed on Vista onward and is automatically downloaded through Windows update.


It is still crossplatform though. .NET is not. You still have to download it on older systems. XP is still widely used.
Also, if you for example, write something with .NET 2.2 and the user only has 2.0, good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26

Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 5804

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.NET is cross platform fyi, http://mono-project.com/Main_Page
And you'll never run into version problems if you keep windows up to date.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
False Prophet
Expert Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slovach wrote:
.NET is cross platform fyi, http://mono-project.com/Main_Page
And you'll never run into version problems if you keep windows up to date.


Wow, that is interesting. I didn't know this existed, but still .NET is evil Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingstar
How do I cheat?
Reputation: 0

Joined: 24 Nov 2009
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest giving Java a try. It is very similar to C++ as far as syntax and what you can go with the language goes. However, I think it is a little bit easier for beginners to learn.
java is platform independent and Java available for more platforms than C# .java is more supportable to produced basic games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
princerouge
How do I cheat?
Reputation: 0

Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a plethora of tut and free compilers around the net. I would go for C/C++ to. a good free compiller would be free borland builder but no IDE. MINGW is also a good choice. If you want to develope some game easily, get the allegro libraries (tools that you add to a compiler to make you life easier) also (the 4.2 version, newer a are pain to set). A good ide (a text editor with tools and stuffs) would be notepad++ (version 5.0.3, not above 'cause they have a nasty bug preventing to work in you local folder), crimson editor is great too.You can also use the one from visual studio express and add you command line from borland or mingw to the "external tools" option.

A greater way also to learn programming (preferably c++) is to go for a private college or some university that offer distance course. You just paid something like 40$ monthly for a years or two (some may offers a free compiler easy to set) and you get someone at the end of the phone that you can bother whenever you want :p and mostly, you don't need a high school diploma to take the course but you wont get a official diploma also but a neat certificate and the precious knowledge are seeking.

Good luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qiaoxiyi
How do I cheat?
Reputation: 0

Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAVA lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a13x12246
Cheater
Reputation: 0

Joined: 03 May 2010
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C++ would be the best you can end up doing 3d games.

c# would not be as efficient but could still end up creating a decent 2d game

Java is more for 2d puzzle games unless you want to spend mass time and end up with something like runescape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

CE Wiki   IRC (#CEF)   Twitter
Third party websites