Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Crashes when Debugging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzxx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Game Crashes when Debugging Reply with quote

I am looking for a pointer in Street Fighter 4, but the game unfortunately crashes when the debugger is attached. If I use the kernelmode debugger and look at access it still goes critical after a short period of time.

How would I go about finding this pointer?
-DEViL-
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it crashes cos newest version of xlive can detect kernel mode debugger too.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check what part of the debugger is detected
while the game is running debug the tutorial with the kernelmode debugger

if it crashes it's detecting the int1 hook.
If so,
1: Try debugging the tutorial before running the game, perhaps it's only detecting a change in int1 during runtime
2: try booting off the dbvm cd. If you're lucky and your system is compatible enough (depends on a lot of factors) it'll actually get to load windows and then you can debug without editing the idt

if it's not crashing it might be detecting the debug register change. In that case try using the global debug option

and of course, the usual comment regarding the kerneldebugger: Make sure you do NOT click on attach debugger and NEVER click yes when it asks to attach the debugger

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
zzxx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

I left the game running and debugged the tutorial without encountering difficulties. Attempts to debug the game using global debug failed however.

Yes, the xlive module is probably a problem. A universal solution would be ideal.

This seems related:
h*tp://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167147&view=previous&sid=ad9a7cd5fe2a7b8e37b65899856ef140
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably means the setting of the debugregs is detected. the svn does have a reworked kernel with better global debug option (no setthreadcontext involved at all and the cloaking of the dr registers work better)
But it's still very early beta and I can't just upload it right now

-DEViL-
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,first it throws don't send err but game runs fine but after a minute or two throws another err and game completely freezes then it closes after a few seconds.i tried ur advise but still crashes.gonna try dbvm and see what happens.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you know how to compile the svn sourcecode (driver ,dbk32.dll and ce.exe) You can try the new global debug instead

the global debug in 5.5 isn't really working well and doesn't do much to hide itself. The one in the svn does and has dynamic debugregister picking

also, next version will hopefully have the ability to launch dbvm at runtime so no need to reboot and having to guess which harddisk to use
But from the description given by zzxx I doubt dbvm will make a difference with this problem as it didn't crash when he debugged the tutorial with the kernel debugger. Which means that setting the debug registers caused a problem (which is what global debug might help with)
If not all debug registers are used up in the thread that actually accesses the value you are looking for, it'll work.
but if all debugregisters are used, even in the thread that accesses the memory, it will be a problem. In that case I'll have to look into a secondary find what accesses routine in kernelmode without the use of debugregs. (access violations)

rocrfella
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a solution to this issue. CE 5.5 makes the game crash as soon as it attached to Street Fighter IV. It's really annoying...how did people debug theirs? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: