Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hex editing help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyguy
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Hex editing help. Reply with quote

Didnt know where to post this, tried finding websites that could help me learn it, but does anyone know the basics of hex editing saved games ? I played with cheat engine a little and found it pretty simple to use, but was just wondering how someone would begin to learn on hex editing saved games. I know a little about values and offsets, but how would you know what connects to what, do you search for it ? and how. thx
Serggio
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need another program
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

click open file instead of of ok and select your file

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
jangnim
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it is guess work unless you know the format of the active game array in the game (this is where a save game come from). On some easier games this is very straight forward, but in most instances you are dealing with process encoded data. For this reason alone a saved game is not always easy to read.

In my experiences, it is also a matter of knowing the compiler used to create the .exe. Once you know that information, as long as the programmer didn't encrypt the data, you can begin to apply the standard data lengths for the saved game. This requires knowledge of these data values inside of the particular compiler.

Once you have this information, and if it is not encrypted, you can begin trial and error processing. This is very time consuming from my experiences.
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's darn easy with CE...

Try this..

- Make at least 10 save games (the more the better. 20-30 wouldnt hurt)
- Try to only change the one aspect you're trying to capture. If it's something like money, go to a store, save to new game, buy something, save to new game, etcetcetc.
- Once you have a heafty build-up of save games, enter cheat engine, click the 'open process/file' button, then click 'open file'.
- Select your first save game and do an unknown value search.
- Open file/process again, this time chosing your 2nd save game. *important* Keep the same code list and search results when asked!
- Do a scan for changed value
- Wash, Rinse, Repeat

You'll eventually find a smaller group of values that change each time. Some of these might be related to time, or other things that change. With the money/store example, You would find the things you are purchasing. If these things are stackable, you'd find the number of them that you have (if you bought the same thing over and over. If you bought 5 of the same stackable object, then switch to another stackable object and make 5 more saves, you would 'lose' their addresses when searching, by file number 6).

- Zhoul
Chandlerklebs
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: If anybody would notice this topic,it would be me. Reply with quote

I have been hex editing save files for so long.I now use CE,but some older
games don't seem 2 work with CE. I wrote a little thing on hex editing.

http://www.geocities.com/chandlerklebs/HexEditing.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: