Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

step 8 tutorial, extra help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: step 8 tutorial, extra help Reply with quote

in the settings/code finder tab darkbyte recomments usings "memory access exceptions" instead of "use debug registers" when your using the "find out what writes to this address option",
meant to help you catch the pointers when the offset is not directcly in the register you broke on but has been set before,

and when you scanned for the pointer >"8fa0dc" you should scan directly for "8fa0dc" and not put the offset with it in the search, you can add the offsets afterwards when you have got down to the static pointer,
the reason your pointer back to your first found address os because you added the offset so it is correctly pointing to the rtight address,
this is what you have got
Arrow
45615E mov eax,[eax] << contents of eax=8FA178
456160 mov [eax+18],esi << contents of eax=8FA178, add 18 offset to 8FA178=8FA190,
then
Arrow
456160 mov [eax+18],esi << esi then loads 8FA190 with the value you eventually want to hold 5000,

so set your debugger to
Arrow "memory access exceptions"

Arrow hex search for the pointers without the offsets,

add them after you have found your pointers down to the static pointer,
you can see the registers and pointers in the code directly above those lines ie Arrow mov eax,[eax+0c]
Arrow mov eax,[eax+14]

multi pointering is one of the hardest things to learn in ce so dont worry if it takes a bit of time to do it, multi level pointers are a bit awkward to find,

it's handy to learn though as some games reload dll's ect when you reach a new level so they write over the code you may have nopped for instance, then you have to un-nopp it(with a report that the code is not what it should be, thats ok check in the memory viewer that the right code has been written back over your nops) then re-nop it,

I got a table for v3 of the tutorial but I dont think dark byte will want me to post it because that will defeat the cause of his tutorial and you won't learn how to do it. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: